Citigroup (C) price target boosted at Credit Suisse to $57, reflecting the reverse stock split. C has made significant strides improving its capital and liquidly position, Credit Suisse said. Maintain Neutral rating.
C - Citigroup - Page 422
In what year? LOL........It will be interesting to see how this stock moves this year.
Crash and burn baby. I need that entry point some where in the 20's if not anything below 39 I will be happy with but il hold out for a while and keep building my reserves up. Going to try to manage my own Ira. I can't stand the dams fees I pay every year to these guys that let computer programs run my investment and they never call when messages are left and why would they, they got there money so why do they care. Totally off point for this thread but who gives a shit
I'm right there with ya, burn baby burn, I've been waiting to get in too and might as well do it at a low.
I just had to get this in here today, look at this garbage:
All that analyst talk on CNBC about how once C does the reverse split, the funds that can not buy a stock below $5 would come into C and send it higher.
Well... if by higher they meant lower, then yes.
No reverse split is going to help this stock.
I sold my holdings in C 10 minutes after I read the announcement about the reverse stock split. I had a feeling it would go down. I commented to someone that if it went down to about $ 35.00 I might consider getting back in. He responed that there was no chance of that happening. It does look pretty likely. I do think there well be resistance right above the $35.00 mark and do think that it may never go below $ 35.10 or so. Of course the whole bank sector has been in the toilet which does make it very appealing to me. At the moment I am going with other bank stocks however. I just bought NLY and will probalbly buy HCBK next. Although I had said I would buy C again around the $ 35.00 mark, I now think I have little interest unless it drops to close to $ 30.00 and I am very skeptical that it will drop that low.
I'm still waiting for an entry point. Reverse Splits almost always guarantee the stock will drop. I think it can go more. I'll wait to get in around $30/share (equal to C's old $3.00/share). I doubt you'll see less than $30/share. That would be equal to $2/share which would be pretty close to C's record low.
Citi did a reverse split so technically according to the stock price now he "bought" it at $40. Share price is ~$42, so he maybe has 'winnings' of less than 5%. What he does is up to him but a stop loss is always a good idea.
Too bad your friend did not get it at the peak of the meltdown. He could have had it for $ 1.30 a share.
Basically from the time your friend bought C until now there has been very little movement in C (of course except for the split.). I do think that at some time in the future C and all bank stocks will be quite a bit higher than they are now but I do think it could be quite some time. I had more faith in C before the reverse split than I do now. In fact I sold my C 10 minutes after the split was announced. Personally I think there are more people who will take a flyer on a stock with some risk at $ 5.00 than there are institutions that will risk their money on a stock that is (was) $ 50.00. I think it was more likely over a long haul for a $ 5.00 price of C to move up to $ 20.00 than there is of a (then) $ 50.00 stock moving to $ 200.00.
I guess what your friend should do depends on what he belives has potential for a good return. I have a feeling banks may never be able to be as profitable as they were but I do think most all bank stocks are more depressed right now than they deserve. Right now your friend can basically get his money back but no profit. He could invest that in a stock more likely to give a better return. After I sold my C, I bought some other bank stocks. NYB, HCBK and I just picked up FNB (which is actually where I do some of my banking) All have a nice dividend, (which could be cut of course). All have some risk but I don't see as much risk as with C.
Another option is to sell the C and put the money where there is a better chance of a run up in price. My favorite speculative stock right now is SIRI, my next purchase in the speculative part of my investments is going to be LVLT. Both have risk but a reasonable chance of a a nice run up in price. He could also go with something less speculative and my favorite in this catogory right now would be GE.
I still watch C and if it should drop somewhere in the $ 30.00 - $ 35.00 range I would consider getting back into C.